Destination and Overnight Adventures offer terrific opportunities for members to check things off their bucket list and really connect and bond with one another. Taking on a Destination or Overnight adventure, is a lot of work. There is a tremendous amount of planning and organizing that goes into them. And so much can go wrong. To help ensure the best success, before planning a Destination or Overnight adventure, the following guidelines must be met. Some exceptions may be made but must be approved by ATD and ABS HQ. Destination and Overnights require a lot of planning and preparation so proper pricing that covers expenses and produces a profit for COF and organization is also necessary.
Prohibited Destination and Overnight Adventures:
- Never rent a vehicle and drive attendees yourself
- Never include the cost of transportation unless it is by approved by ATD/ABS HQ as hired transportation companies such as chartered bus services.
- Never hire a driver not affiliated with an appropriate transportation company that has proper insurances and licenses
- Never hire a travel agent not affiliated and approved by ABS
- Never plan a trip that requires airline flights (or anything where your ticket cannot be transferred to someone else) or is farther than a three (3) hour drive/ride (see below for exceptions)
- Never plan a trip in which you are the expert and do not have appropriate training, licenses, certifications, etc. – example, hiking Pikes Peak and acting as the hiking guide, or white water rafting and acting as the rafting guide. Always use appropriate, trained, licensed, insured guides.
Destination or Overnight adventures must…
- be discussed and approved by ATD prior to embarking on planning
- be open for ticket sales on the ABS website no less than two months prior to adventure but no more than *four (4) months prior (you may post the adventure over four (4) months prior but cannot open ticket sales before *four(4) months prior
- be within a three (3) hour or less drive/ride
- have a backup COF in attendance if over a three (3) hour drive but not more than a (6) hour drive
- Backup COF must have wanted to attend the adventure enough that she would have signed up without being asked to be a COF
- Backup COF must be secured PRIOR to publishing adventure. If you cannot find an Assistant COF, you will not be able to offer adventure.
- Backup COF will be charged COST of adventure without additional registration fee.
- Backup COF does not receive commission on adventure unless she has to take over all aspects of adventure in the event of an emergency and planning COF is unable to fulfill her obligations to host adventure. In that case, backup COF, if having to step in as primary host, will receive all applicable commission on the adventure. Some exceptions may apply.
- not exceed two nights
- not exceed a six hour drive (must have Backup COF in attendance)
- be limited in attendance. Up to 16 attendees with one COF,
- be limited to no more than 24 attendees with an Assistant COF in attendance
- Assistant COF must have wanted to attend the adventure enough that she would have signed up without being asked to be a COF
- Price for assistant COF should be figured into expenses of adventure when planning event.
- Assistant COF must be secured PRIOR to publishing adventure. If you cannot find an Assistant COF, you will not be able to offer adventure.
- Assistant COF does not receive commission on adventure unless she has to take over all aspects of adventure in the event of an emergency and planning COF is unable to fulfill her obligations to host adventure. In that case, Assistant COF, if having to step in as primary host, will receive all applicable commission on the adventure. Some exceptions may apply.
- be priced properly. Expenses for COF should be figured in to pricing and registration fee should be between $20 and $25 per day. Examples:
- Two full days, one night adventure registration fee could be $50 per person
- Two nights, 3 days, registration fee could be up to $75 per person
- 1-1/2 day, one night, registration fee could be about $40 per person
- Complex trips with lots of stops registration could be about $50 per person
- Close trip, departure about 3pm, overnight, and return after breakfast, registration could be about $30 per person
*Adventures may not be open for sales earlier than four (4) months prior to adventure. PayPal, our ticket processing agent, makes available the transactions received for only 180 days (six (6) months). After that, transactions are no longer accessible, PayPal fees are taken by PayPal, and any kind of refund or accessibility to the transaction is no longer available. Keeping our transactions no older than 4 months allows us opportunities to reschedule, refund, if necessary, for a few additional months before the transactions are no longer accessible. If adventures must be rescheduled and will be beyond the six month point, adventure needs to be cancelled, all attendees refunded, and then posting of adventure must be started over again.